Thursday, April 21, 2011

Dracula - Let me introduce you to the Count ...

Some of you may know I am very much enjoying plowing my way through the Urban Fantasy section of Waterstones at the moment and that vampires, werewolves etc figure quite highly in my book collection.

However, I have a confession to make, up until Monday 18th April 2011, I had never read Bram Stoker's Dracula.
I'm not even sure why, I've only been obsessed with vampires since the age of 11.
First of all, I must point out if you haven't read it, the movies aren't anything like the book (isn't that always the case?) I kept making unfair comparisons between the film starring Gary Oldman which I deserve to have rapped hands for!


The book is written from several main character's perspectives in the form of their diaries. With each character adding their views and progressing the story along. I wasn't expecting this, but once I got into it, it made a good deal of sense.


What is a surprise, and what ultimately adds to the terror of this book, is that the Count's viewpoint is never shown; we don't know the motives behind his actions.


My only other point about this book is that I think I've been spoiled. Particularly in JR Ward's series of books, I have come to expect fantastic fighting scenes to climax the book. Dracula had all the right ingredients; a chase, trapping him at the end, fancy weapons, but it fell decidedly flat.


I would recommend this book to someone who isn't used to the vampire genre of books and/or the level of violence present in books. Again, as with 1984, I can see how it would have impacted back when it was first released, but I feel it just lacks that bit of oomph we've come to expect with vampires and the whatnot.



So, after having found Dracula a disappointment who are your favourite vampires?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic book - easy to read for a Victorian novel although I gather its reputation is now mainly as a result of the films. Despite good reveiws, it didn't sell well in 1897. However I can imagine all the knowing men reading it, and not letting their wives near it! All the wives cadging a look behind closed doors.... I take your point about the ending, but I think we've had too much of Hollywood to appreciate the low-key ending, with its own clear drama and the death of one of the heroes. One of my favourite Victorian novels and vastly underrated. "Seven years ago we all went through the flames....."

It's worth trying J Sheridan Le Fanu's "Carmilla" - chilling in a very different way to Dracula, and also the source for a number of Hammer films.