Monday, April 11, 2011

Literary Leanings

As it states in my profile, I am a prolific reader. However, in the past few years I have ended up pigeon-holing myself reading mostly from the same genre. I was rather surprised when I came to fill out the list on Facebook how many of the "great" books I hadn't read.

At the end of each book, I intend to write a little review in case you haven't read it. So, on with the first book I've read from the list, 1984 by George Orwell.

The story is sent in an alternative future (it was written in 1949) and follows the character of Winston as he tries to live under the rule of the all-seeing Big Brother. Without spoiling too much of the plot, as you can guess, this doesn't turn out so well.

As I read this, I had to keep reminding myself this was written in 1949. The ideas Orwell came up with seem so plausible for today, that they must have blew people's minds back in the 50s. For example, telescreens installed in everyone's homes. This is where the term "Big Brother is watching you" comes from. I felt generally unnerved when reading this book, as it touches on similar issues as the Matrix; that only a small percentage of people are really aware of what is real and the rest (in 1984, the Proles) just mindlessly going on with their lives, under the illusion of free will. It does get you thinking, could this be real?

This is one of those books I think that should be read when meeting with a group or a class. I don't feel I appreciated it as much on this first read as the themes covered would benefit from further exploration and discussion. I looked up some information on the book this morning to try and get a better idea of what the ending was all about. However, I think when I have a bit more time, I definitely want to re-read it and use the classroom guides to try and get a better grasp.

So, would I recommend it? If you have a passing interest in Cold War era history this would definitely appeal. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone looking for a quick and easy read, this book demands your full attention.

No comments: