Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Cathy and Heathcliff versus Harry?

As you may have guessed, I've finished Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, and Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by JK Rowling.

So which one did I prefer?

Wuthering Heights was very easy to read, I just flew through it. I think this was due to the story being narrated by the housekeeper Nelly. There ain't nowt like a common person to talk proper like!

Not sure if I actually liked the story, I think if Heathcliff was around today he'd have been given a restraining order, and possibly some anger management classes. As for Cathy, I think she was definitely missing a few shillings. Although I love my husband etc etc, I don't think I've ever been in an all-consuming love to the point where if we weren't together we'd hurt other people as well as each other. I'm kinda glad about that.
Who would I recommend it to? I don't honestly know is the answer. It is one of those books you "should" read but I don't know if I'd actually tell people to do so. Hmm .....


As for Harry Potter, again flew through the book. It filled in some gaps in my Harry Potter knowledge as up to this point I have only ever seen the films. The only downside I found was that my imagination wasn't really invoked as I pictured the characters as the actors (if that makes sense). I was surprised at almost how slow the story progressed, half way through and we'd only just reached Hogwarts. But as we got to the third corridor and past Fluffy, the story raced along.
Definitely would recommend this book, particularly for children who haven't seen the film and therefore can use their own imagination to bring the book to life and not rely on the box in the corner of the room.

As a final note if anyone hasn't seen this, have a giggle ....

1 comment:

Morgan said...

Great review, here I thought I was the only one that had mixed feelings about Wuthering Heights! I know, it's a classic, people feel like they should read (I know I did), but like you, I don't know if I'd actually recommend it.

Also, interesting to hear your perspective on Harry Potter, I haven't read any of the books, but have always been meaning to! I've only seen the first 2 or 3 movies, and to your point, I usually prefer to use my imagination more.