Friday, May 20, 2011

Have you met Miss Jones?

As I said in my previous post, I have flown through some books already this week. Before I begin however, I need to confess that I started a book from the list and was unable to continue with it.

I picked up Lolita and didn't get much further than the second chapter. The plot is about a paedophile essentially and despite the acclaim this book has received, I couldn't stomach reading it.

Onto a lighter topic now and I've finally read Bridget Jones' Diary by Helen Fielding. As with The Color Purple, I flew through this book in record time.

Most of you know the rough plot, if not from the film, with the events covering a year in Bridget's life as she has an affair with her boss, changes job and ends up with Mr Darcy whilst her mother goes through a midlife crisis.

I'm glad that I've read it as there were some very funny parts, however, I was exhausted by it. Helen Fielding's style is very quickfire and you certainly go through the book at a quick pace because of it.
I did love the entries where Bridget was drunk,

"Argor sworeal brilleve with Shazzan Jude"

Definitely a book of its generation, as younger readers won't remember a time without SkyPlus, mobile phones, email and no smoking allowed in public places, but is funny nonetheless. What a shame there aren't any other chick-lit books on my list as it was a welcome bit of light relief.

No comments: