Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Road Less Travelled Part One

As you'll know by now, we didn't get to go on our fantabulous road trip and we're not sure when we're going to get to do it.

So that all the research I did was not for naught, I ask you to come with me on a virtual road trip to show you what we would have done :

Day -1 : Staying at the Premier Inn, Dunkirk, Canterbury overnight ready to catch the ferry in the morning to France!!!

Day 1 : Taking the ferry from Dover, England to Dunkerque, France. Maybe I'll repeat what I did the last time I was on the ferry (and no, for those of you who were with me on that school trip, I will not fall over!) but sing to the cliffs as we depart our fair shores :


Yes, I know, I'm an idiot. Moving on ....

We would arrive in Dunkerque around 11am local time, and drive down to Troyes for our first stop.



So why Troyes, well, whilst I was doing some research on places to go, this site told me that Troyes (along with Lyon and Dijon) was the place to go. As it happened, the route we were taking encorporated all these places quite neatly.

The plan when we arrived in Troyes (apart from some sneaky shopping - sorry Paul but you know it had to happen!) was a little bit vague. When we were making the bookings we encountered two problems :
1 - the (only) campsite wouldn't book us in for one night, however, if we turned up on the day and they had spaces we could stay. So, we had to scout out for other campsites in the area, just in case this one was full and we had to carry on down the road.
2 - the tourism website is only in French, and whilst I can speak a fair bit of it, it's a bit irritating when you're trying to plan activities having to refer to a dictionary every 5 seconds.
However, we decided to follow the Rue des Chats, which took in sites around the town, and just follow our noses to see what was around.

If we were able to stay, the campsite we were planning on visiting was the Camping Municipal de Troyes, as recommended by Cool Camping France.

Next Post - Day Two - Lyon ...

No comments: